FAQ and Firearms Information*

     *Please note that all of the information on these sites is subject to change without appropriate updates

How do I get a permit to carry a gun in the State of Connecticut?

In order to get a State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers you must first obtain a Local Permit. Out of state residents may apply for a non resident Connecticut State Pistol Permit. Non residents apply directly to the Connecticut State Police.  Call 860-685-8494 to have an application mailed out.

How do I apply for a Local Permit (Temporary State Pistol Permit)?

You must go to the Police Department or First Selectman of the town and get the application. The application has all the instructions necessary to obtain the permit. The cost of the permit is $70.00, and it generally takes eight weeks to obtain.

What are the minimum firearms training course requirements for pistol permit applicants?

You are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to

submitting the application.  The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses. 

Live fire is also required.  Computer-generated programs, dry-fire, other simulated shooting tools, plastic bullets, air guns or any other alternatives are not acceptable.  Students must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver.   Any questions should be referred to the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit.

Once I have received a Local Permit, how do I apply for a State Permit?

Latest Connecticut gun laws as of April 2014

State of Connecticut

State of Connecticut


Or Call 203-874-8744

For more information

Email Me